Monday, March 5, 2012

Banana Split Pie

Someone mentioned Banana Cream Pie a few days ago and I thought it sounded kinda good. I went to my favorite trusty recipe website, AllRecipes.com and came across the Banana Cream Cheese Pie. This pie actually has some strawberries on top. Hmmmm.......I had an idea!

This recipe called for a store bought graham cracker crust and Cool Whip. By now you all know I make my own, so I adapted this recipe to incorporate the homemade counterparts of these ingredients.

First, I made a homemade graham cracker crust and pressed it firmly into only the bottom of my springform pan. It goes something like this:

1 brown sleeve of Graham Crackers
3 Tablespoons Butter, melted
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 1/2 Tablespoons Pure Vanilla Extract

Second, in place of Cool Whip I made homemade whipped cream. I eyeball it these days so these measurings are approximate. Your heavy cream will double in size once it is whipped.

1 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar

Pour into a mixing bowl and whip until stiff peaks begin to form. If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, you will achieve those peaks in a couple of minutes or less.


Lastly, I already had some pureed strawberries in the fridge I made a few days prior. I fill my mini food processor with fresh strawberries with the tops cut off and a Tablespoon of granulated sugar and process until smooth. I poured about 1 Cup of this mixture on top of my pie.

For the topping, I piped some extra whipped cream around the edge for decoration and sprinkled some sundae nut topping across the top. My handy helping daughter insisted on some rainbow sprinkles, you can add those too if you wish. Save the chocolate sauce until you are ready to serve and eat.

There you have it! An ordinary Banana Cream Cheese Pie adapted and made into something that taste like a Banana Split!

***I store mine in the freezer!***


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...