Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Training for a Half Marathon

Yep......so here I am putting it out there. I am running the San Diego Half Marathon with my husband on March 11th, 2012. I started to run around Christmas before talk about signing up for a race. I think something shifted in my psyche and I decided that I need to run. My husband ran the Rock N' Roll Marathon in 2011 with an impressive finish time. He has always been a great runner and when I began to run during the Christmas break he mentioned the half marathon. I think the idea of one is great but it is one thing to fantasize about the idea of doing one someday and actually committing yourself to one. 

This will be no small feat for me. Although I appear to be in shape I am not. I grew up working hard and stayed on the move until I had our daughter nearly 6 years ago. I was exercising up until the week I gave birth. Once she came along life changed and I was tired all the time and had someone else to take care.

I am ready to make some changes. I have been thinking about how to make this a successful run. Successful to me means finishing the run and not being one of the last to cross the line. At this point I have been running a few couples of weeks. Reflecting on my crazy decision to do this I figured this out:

1.) You have to decide you want to do this.

2.) You have to sign up and commit yourself to it.

3.) Best recipe for success is to tell everyone what you are doing. When you are at your worst and thinking of giving up or unsure if you are able to make it you will remember all of the people you told. (This worked well for me when I decided to have a natural childbirth.)

4.) Staying positive and keeping your eye on the prize. It also helps to think about how you will feel once you accomplished your goal.

Believe me when I tell you that I am no runner......at least I wasn't until a couple of weeks ago. The physical aspect is very important but the mental aspect is just as important, if not more. Commitment and determination will pull me through at my weakest moments.
Wish me luck as I continue to try to build myself in preparation for March 11th, 2012.

***I am also on Pinterest...just created a "Running" board.***
http://pinterest.com/bakingbymsc/


4 comments:

  1. Hi MSC! I'm Jabberwokky from AllRecipes. I ran my first half marathon a little over a year ago and wanted to wish you well. Believe me when I say that running is so much more mental than you will think. Believe in yourself. It will be hard to train, it will take lots of time, you will have days where you don't want to run. Just go. Hang inspirational quotes on your frig. You can do it! My goal was to finish without stopping or walking. I did it and the feeling is amazing! I'll be looking forward to updates on your training and progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb! Wow, I bet you felt amazing when you finished! I wasn't a "runner" before this so this is a big deal for me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I will give you encouraging words when you feel like giving up, just give me a call! I decided to start small jogs with E. to get back into running since breaking my foot last spring. If my foot holds up I'll start doing runs with you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! good for you! personally, running is something i hate. i'm horrible at it. and i have no motivation. i really wish i didn't hate it so much.
    cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...