Saturday, September 3, 2011

Caramel Apple Season

Besides Starbuck's seasonal Pumpkin Spice and Gingerbread Lattes I also look forward to fall for the Caramel Apples. Thus far I have made a total of 3 Caramel Apples this season and it is only September 4th.
My favorite kind to make is Caramel dipped completely into Milk Chocolate and drizzled with White Chocolate/Peanut butter, but I am trying new combinations this year.

~Caramel with White Chocolate and Cinnamon
~Caramel with Candy Coated Chocolate Chips
~Caramel with Chocolate, Marshmallows, and Milk Chocolate Chips


Previous years I also used Kraft or Brach's Caramels but I always hoped to find a good homemade recipe that I could use instead. I searched but most people would complain the homemade caramel recipes were too thin and it wouldn't properly cover the apple. I came across this Toffee Sauce recipe the other day and decided to whip it up and use it as an ice cream topping. I found that the consistency of the recipe was like a soft caramel. If I had poured into into a buttered pan instead of a bowl that is exactly what I would have had! That is when I decided this is the perfect recipe for dipping apples. Simply re-heat the sauce in the mircowave and dip your apples!


Tip #1: Make sure you allow the caramel to cool or set up a bit before adding heavy toppings as you can see from the photo above. I added a layer of white chocolate that was far too heavy for the warm caramel to handle.


Tip #2: Line a baking sheet with wax paper and do not forget to spray or butter your wax paper. If you fail to do this, the caramel will adhere to the wax paper and create a sticky mess.

Enjoy!

~MSC

4 comments:

  1. The best Caramel Apple recipe is http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-caramel-apples-73274. I usually cook the caramel a few degrees under firm ball stage, and a few over soft ball stage. They are soooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessie, I will check out that recipe right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can not wait to pick the apples in our garden and make some..I look forward all year to making caramel apples..lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look so good. I try to chill the apples before dipping and the caramel firms up really quickly. I want to try both the recipes-we love apples!!
    Isn't fall baking the BEST?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...