Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Homemade Layered Cake

This was the first photo I was able to get of the cake before we cut into it. I mentioned at the end of my Extraordinary Desserts post that was inspired to make my own extraordinary dessert. I followed through on this and here it is!


For the first time in my life, I was out of granulated sugar so making a cake from scratch was out. I used a dark chocolate cake mix for this project. I knew one of layers in some of the cakes at Extraordinary Desserts was pastry cream. I never made pastry cream before but I am an adventurous baker so I went to AllRecipes.com to find a recipe for pastry cream.


Trying to decide another layer of delicious filling for this cake I decided that the milk chocolate espresso filling in my Espresso Twix dessert would work very well so I whipped up both fillings the day before making the cake to allow them to chill properly.


I made a homemade chocolate ganache to cover the cake and used extra milk chocolate espresso filling to pipe on and around the cake. For finishing touches, I ground some dark chocolate in my new cheese/chocolate grinder (I will share it with you soon, such a cool tool!) for the top of the cake.





I have leftover pastry cream that  is calling me so I have plans to make a non-chocolate extraordinary cake later this week. If you decide to make this cake or something similar make sure you keep this baby refrigerated when not serving due to the fillings inside the cake. The recipes I used are linked in the post above.

~MSC

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! How was the pastry cream? I've always wanted to try that recipe - is it similar to what you would find in a cream puff? Thanks, as always, for sharing your delicious desserts - they always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Lisa, I believe it is similar to something in a cream puff. It turned out to be a great recipe as it has a high rating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! It looks delicious! I've been out of town and missed all your blogs and videos... need to catch up now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks awesome! I really really like the fact that there are 2 different fillings in this cake. I will definitely be trying that in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cake! And I must say that I really loved boxed cake mixes. No shame!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...