Friday, June 3, 2011

Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake



This may look delicious to you so let me start off by apologizing because when I made this I didn't write down the recipe and measurements. I promise next time I will, but this is easy and I will share with you how I did it.


I used my 9 inch springform pan. You could also use a pie plate or a square baking dish if you wish. If you want to make this bigger and use a 9 x 13 pan, then you want to double the recipe measurements once I get them to you all.


Crust:


Let's start from the bottom. It is an Oreo cookie crust. Take some Oreos and finely crush them using a food processor or a good blender (which is what I use.) Melt some butter, enough to moisten the Oreos crumbs and mix together. An option is to add a sprinkle of cinnamon in with the Oreo crust mixture. I know it sounds weird, but it gives an interesting flavor, yet it is very subtle. **A tip for making your own crusts at home and not knowing how many cookies to use, I will crush the cookies and before adding the butter I dump the loose crumbs into my pan and shake to see how well they cover the bottom. At this point I can decide if I have enough crumbs or if I wish to crush more.**


Ice Cream:


For this recipe, I made homemade Peanut Butter Ice Cream. It was a recipe from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. This is a phenomenal ice cream recipe book that you can find at your local bookstores, Borders, or Barnes and Noble. It is an eggless ice cream recipe and what makes it unique is you use a blender to incorporate the creamy peanut until it is well mixed and frothy then you just need to refrigerate until cold before transfering to your ice cream maker. I found this recipe was spot on for taste. I prefer using homemade ice cream because I personally find it more satisfying and also because the ice cream is very soft coming out of the ice cream maker. The consistency is perfect for carefully covering the Oreo crust. You will divide your ice cream in half by covering your Oreo crust with half of the ice cream and reserving the rest for the moment. ** A tip for you is to use an ice cream or cookie scoop to drop the ice cream around the Oreo crust. You need to be careful when spreading the ice cream around that you don't break the crust. I like to use a small smooth edged butter knife to do this. **


Filling:


Break out a bag of full size Reese's Cups and begin chopping them. You will use these as part of your filling layer in the middle. You can really use as many chopped Reese's Cup as you prefer and go ahead and sprinkle them on top of the ice cream. For the second part of the layer, you will take a decent amount of creamy peanut butter such as 1/2 or more and tranfer into a microwave safe dish and nuke the peanut butter until fluid. Pour warm creamy peanut butter over the chopped Reese's Cups.


Ice Cream:


Back to the ice cream. Take your other remaining half of ice cream and drop scoopfuls over the filling layer and spread and smooth out until even.


Whipped Cream:


I made homemade whipped cream using heavy cream, powdered sugar, and pure vanilla. Once whipped until stiff, spread across the top layer of ice cream until smooth.


Toppings:


My favorite part because the toppings are really what makes the dessert look more appealing. Before serving, I drizzle each slice with Smuckers Chocolate Syrup and I melt more creamy peanut butter to drizzle on top.


Enjoy!


Follow me on Twitter & YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MakingSweetCreations?feature=mhum

http://twitter.com/#!/BakingByMSC

6 comments:

  1. Hey I host a blog hop and I'd LOVE if you came over and shared a recipe! Here's the link :) http://thesweetdetail.blogspot.com/search/label/Savory%20Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH wow you had me at peanut butter :) looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. you can't go wrong with any of that! Hope you can swing by and link this up to my sweet treats party today!
    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has all my favorite flavors. It looks so good. You have a fun blog. Great mix of food, decorating and chatter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...