Sunday, May 15, 2011

Making Homemade Snickers, Part One

I was flipping through my Candymaking book this morning by Ruth Kendrick & Pauline Atkinson. I often do this when my husband is using my laptop in the kitchen leaving me unable to browse recipes online. I decided on a whim to make Snicks. Bascially it is a homemade Snickers. Delicious, right?



I am past the beginner stage in my baking so making candy such as caramel and nougats no longer scare me as it once did. You have to begin by preparing the caramel and peanut layer first. Above is the recipe from my book.



And here is my mess.

The boiling process was good, I didn't even have to brush the sides of the pan down with water to prevent sugar crystals from sticking. It did expand quickly and I was momentarily worried it would boil over but it didn't. Whew! I did not want to spend my Sunday scrubbing burnt caramel off the sides of my stainless steel pan.


You can see here by the time it has reached the soft ball stage or 240 degrees the caramel mixture has turned into a golden color. Add the peanuts, stir, and pour into your buttered jellyroll pan.
This is part one of making Snicks. While this layer cools I am going to go outside and enjoy my day before coming back and getting started on the rest. I think I need to pick up more corn syrup too.


Follow me on Twitter:





5 comments:

  1. It's my day for a blog hop, I'd love it if you came over and shared one of your great recipes at savory sunday!! Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and so sweet! I used to make a similar recipe when I was in college. Pretty time consuming, which is why I haven't made it in a long time. I've been pretty lazy when it comes to cooking lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us know how they turn out. My mouth is watering already:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring on Part 2! I keep checking-I bet they will look and taste amazing. Will you make a video for youtube on this?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...