Monday, April 4, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream Cake Inspired by Cold Stone Creamery

Today was my daughter's 5th birthday. Sometimes it is difficult to believe, but she is really growing up. We decided to have a breakfast birthday party with a Princess and the Frog theme. On Saturday, just two days before the party I still haven't decided what I was going to do for the cake. Since I love to bake, I wasn't sweating it because I could always come up with something last minute. I have been in sort of a baking lull lately so while walking past Cold Stone Creamery I decided to go in and have a look at their cakes. We ordered one for Alexa's birthday a couple of years ago and it was divine. Aftering peering at the cakes through the glass doors I got an idea....I could totally make one of those!


I was checking out the red velvet cakes with cake batter ice cream at the store. I walked myself home and got started on it. I used a Duncan Hines box cake mix in red velvet. I kicked around the idea of making a homemade cake but the box cakes always turn out well and I didn't want to gamble on the texture. I baked the cake in a 9" springform pan.

Once the cake was baked and cooled, I removed it from the pan and cut the cake in half making two even layers. I placed one layer back in the springform pan and put the sides back in place. I already whipped up some homemade cake batter ice cream and I carefully spread the softened ice cream across the red velvet cake layer as evenly as I could. Once that was done I placed the other half of cake on top and back in the freezer it went to firm up.

After I gave the cake plenty of time to set in the freezer, I removed it and the sides of the springform pan and began working on icing the cake. I will tell you a secret thanks for one of the buzzers from AllRecipes......if you want that creamy white layer of icing that you find on Cold Stone, Baskin Robins, and Dairy Queen cakes then you better get yourself a carton of Pastry Pride. I found Pastry Pride at Smart and Final Warehouse Store. They also offer a vanilla flavored version which is what I purchased for this cake.


The Pastry Pride icing stays soft even after it has been in the freezer, so it was a tad tricky to work with, I didn't expect it to remain so soft but I will keep that in mind next time. I retained some and colored it purple to pipe some messy borders onto the cake....totally not my best work but I was very eager to try it out and the cake was getting soft and I was working with it.

Once we sliced into the cake today I knew the work was totally worth it. I have perfectly even layers just like a store bought Cold Stone ice cream cake. I think I got this down and I am ready to make these for anyone who wants to order one. I am looking forward to trying out different flavor combinations. I can't tell you how happy I am to have leftovers of this baby...


Follow me on YouTube and Twitter:



http://twitter.com/BakingbyMSC



13 comments:

  1. That looks awesome, Kelly! I hope you are going to do a post on the party. You always have great ideas;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That looks so fantastic! Great job. You should sell your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! FYI: I think Duncan Hines red velvet mix reigns supreme. Perfect texture & mild chocolate hints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Apron, that sums up the taste of their red velvet, you are right. It was the very first time I baked red velvet cake. I am pleased with it! I posted a video on my YouTube Channel of the house before the party started...let me get the link....

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.youtube.com/user/MakingSweetCreations?feature=mhum

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Way to rally at the end. I would love to see more pics of the party. I am making a barbie princess cake for my daughter's 4th in a few weeks and I am nervous. It will be the first time I've used fondant. Have any tips for me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, try using the Marshmallow Fondant recipe on AllRecipes website. It is very popular, it is actually tasty and anyone can make it. When using that recipe remember if your fondant becomes too stiff or dry then you work a little more butter in. If your fondant is too pliable then work more powdered sugar in. Make sure to check out the photos under the Marshmallow Fondant recipe on AllRecipes for inspiration! The link above your comment is to my YouTube channel where I shared the decorations, etc. before the party started!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cake Batter Ice Cream is irresistible! I have never attempted a homemade ice cream cake before, but I am impressed with yours. I would have never thought about the icing getting hard, but that is a good point, I will have to look for some Pastry Pride.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I've never heard of Pastry Pride and still yearn to make an ice cream cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks simply amazing! I'm sure the party guests loved it. Thanks for the ice cream cake making tips. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is truly awesome. I love it. Something which can not be think before.
    dean graziosi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...