Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cupcakes Out, Cake Pops In?

I have been thinking lately, are the cupcakes days over? I mean you can a cupcakery everywhere you go these days. I have been pondering this ever since I saw that Starbucks will be carrying Cake Pops.


I have been following Bakerella for some time and she specializes in making the cutest Cake Pops you have ever seen. She even released a colorful and fun recipe book sharing how to make them for every occasion!

Since Starbucks debuted their Cake Pops recently, I heard a neighbor telling me that a vendor was selling Cake Pops are one of our local farmer's markets. I can't help but wonder, will Cake Pops be the new cupcakes?



I only made Cake Pops a few times. Most recently I made some usually leftover red velvet cake that I mixed with cold chocolate ganache instead of icing. I dipped them into tempered milk chocolate.





What do you think? Are cupcakes out? Do you anticipate seeing Cake Pops around? Do you frequent any cupcakeries?













10 comments:

  1. I've never had a cake pop but some of them are so cute! I still think kids will always love cupcakes, there's nothing better than seeing that frosting all over their little faces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that pie is the next big sweet. I love cupcakes, too, and have an order of cookies & cupcakes for a wedding shower this weekend. Your cake pops look great-I am a Bakerella fan, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've heard that doughnuts and pie are vying for the new spot. but really, neither can take my love for cupcakes-- pie isn't really that portable, and as much as i love and miss dunkin' donuts, it just isn't a trendy place to snack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the cupcake craze is on its way out, but of course cupcakes themselves will still be necessary. I just don't know if there will be enough zeal to support so many specialized cupcake shops. Pie anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the Cake Pops at Starbucks last weekend...but kept myself away from them. One would have been one too many! I know you are from Iowa, but have you ever been to Valley Junction in West Des Moines? There is a little shop that sells cupcakes (and other goodies). Carefree Patisserie - they have amazing cupcakes. I first found out about them at the Farmer's Market downtown early last year. They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, I haven't been to Valley Junction. I am from Eastern Iowa, Dubuque, to be exact. Overall, I think the cupcake craze is on the way out. I do not think that cupcakeries will entirely cease to exist, but that there are too many of them out there today that sell only cupcakes. When I see one, I often walk in but I rarely buy one. I can't bring myself to pay $2.75 - $7.50 + for one regular sized cupcake. Yes....I recently went to a cupcakery where my husband got coffee and the cupcakes were priced in the $6-$7 dollar range. Cupcakes of course will never go away, who doesn't love a cupcake?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made some cake pops with homemade red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting at Valentine's! They were excellent! I dipped them in white chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think my vote will always still be for the cupcakes. I love icing and frosting too much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made cake pops and failed horribly at them--it was so sad, lol. I REALLY REALLY like how you used ganache in yours. I think I'm going to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...