Saturday, February 19, 2011

Working With Fondant


This is a cake I made last year (exactly one year ago today) when my family for visiting for some birthday's we were celebrating. This was my third time working with fondant. I used the Marshmallow Fondant from AllRecipes.com


You can see one of my seams here, but I have since purchased a Wilton tool that helps to smooth the fondant out, but I haven't had the chance to use it yet.




I got this cake flavor combination after watching Cake Boss on TLC. I used a white cake mix because they are super moist, then the filling is chocolate ganache and fresh strawberries. I dirty iced in with buttercream, probably a little too much and then covered in the marshmallow fondant.



I am hoping to make a fondant cake or two this week to get more practice! Have you worked with fondant? Do you make your own or do you purchase it?





3 comments:

  1. Cute! That's really great for one of your first attempts with fondant! I have tried both purchased and homemade fondant. The homemade marshmallow stuff isn't as easy to work with, but tastes better. I have bought the nasty Wilton stuff, and it goes on so much easier! I just can't get over how totally nasty it tastes though. I want to try the stuff from Duff... they package says it tastes great. Have fuh with your next cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been working with fondant A LOT the past few weeks! I use Satin Ice (what the Cake Boss uses), it tastes wonderful and is super easy to work with. I am currently working on a purse shaped cake, which I hope to have a blog post about tomorrow. I LOVE decorating cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marshmallow fondant is by far the tastiest-like soft circus peanut candy. Purchased fondant is pretty simple to manipulate but is pricey & people generally "peel" it off and eat the cake underneath. Rolled buttercream fondant also tastes good, but can be very tempermental. Your cake lookd great! I live about 3 miles from the Wilton HQ and they have a HUGE tent sale every year-less than 1/2 the prices on everything. It is great and very, very crowded.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...