Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Rewards of Walking

First I have to say I really regret not bringing my camera with me today. When I woke up this morning I had no idea I would be walking a vigorous seven miles today. In fact, I didn't plan on any exercise. I mentioned to my new friend and neighbor that I would like to walk to the library from our neighborhood sometime and she suggested that today we take that walk. You must know there is a very steep hill along the way. I was huffing and puffing by the time I pushed my stroller to the top. My body felt like it was on fire.
The library was closed, so I dropped my stuff in the drop box and walked across the street and I introduced my friend to this hole in the wall type place that makes the mozt amazing donuts. Next time I will bring my camera so I can show you these delicious donuts. We also walked by a cupcake place called Cupcakes Squared. Yes, their cupcakes are really square. I resisted buying anything from the store and we continued our walk back home.
Once we were back in our neighborhood near the shopping area, a marketing research team was asking people to wear these new GPS watches for running/walking. They were testing them out for a major sports company that they couldn't name, but if you walked their route they had mapped and wear the GPS watch, they would give you $25 cash.
They were not intrusive in anyway and didn't want much information from you other than age, height, and weight. My friend and I talked about it for a minute and decided to do it. The route that was mapped out was right in our own neighborhood and would require us to walk that route four times.
We completed the route which took us an hour and twenty-something minutes to walk just over 5 miles. My four year old was pretty patient during all of this walking so I promised I would split the cash with her and she could buy a new toy at Target later today.
The good news is I burned 950 calories just on the 5 mile walk around our neighborhood. That doesn't include the 2 or so miles we walked before that. I will likely rest for the next couple of days after all of the intense walking, but it sures feels great.

7 comments:

  1. Whoa, thats a lot of calories(; haha I love walking. Its an exercise that I really enjoy because it doesn't even feel like exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking is wonderful, I agree. Unfortunately, the snow here in Chicago=icy sidewalks. Another reason that spring is exciting. This fall I wore a pedometer & aimed for 10,000 steps every day. There is actually a hole in the wall place called Square Donuts in Terre Haute, Indiana...we used to drive by it when we visited my Grandma. And I so think the donuts are square!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what will you be making so we can replace all the calories we burnt this morning? I'll be in bed regaining my strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet, I saw "A" shaped donuts on Bakerella's site. She was taking photos of them somewhere. I saw the delicious looking donuts feautured on the front page of AllRecipes today too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that you Becky?!? I took a long nap this afternoon, but I have to tell you that my entire body is literally exhausted and I have a fierce appetite. All I can think about is food right now, but I have no idea what I am hungry for. Grilled cheese sounds kinda good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly! I just wanted to let you know that I've started a blog here on blogspot. I love your blog, I hope you follow mine! http://photofoodiegirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for letting me know, Dianne. I will check it out now! I love all of your photos, you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...