Thursday, December 9, 2010

Doll Table Makeover


I found this cute doll furniture set at Home Goods nearly two months ago. I really couldn't pass it up. My daughter is really getting into The American Girl Dolls and pretend tea parties so this set was perfect.


I know I am probably silly, but I didn't like the paintings on the table. I preferred a plain pink table without the teacups and flowers because I thought it made the table look busy. The table was only $9.99 so I bought it with this great idea of me simply spraypainting it pink.

It really wasn't that easy. This is my first crafty project ever so I have no experience with this kind of stuff. Spraying over the paint didn't work. It immediately began to crackle. Next, after a trip to Ace Hardware, I began to sand all of the paint off of the table.



Today, I began spraypainting again. I was nervous and I had a feeling it still wasn't going to be as easy as I originally imagined.


So here it is, it isn't done yet. I actually left a strip of original pink paint around the side of the top which you can see crackled a little. It took many thin coats to cover the table, but I am overall pleased. It is by no means perfect. I will share the finished table in another post coming soon.





8 comments:

  1. It looks great and not being perfect is a good thing! You can always distress it a bit and then cover it with some wax. It's so funny, in that last picture it looks like a full sized table...can't wait to see the finished product:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Victoria, I like things nice, but I am not an absolute perfectionist. The table probably looked more nice overall before I started to mess around with it, but I really wanted a plain pink table. My daughter has little tea cups and plates and her table will look better when she sets it if the paintings weren't underneath on the tabletop as they were before. Plus, the pink matches her room. The chairs have some green on the seat, but I am going to leave those alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the crackle on the paint! A little shabby chic is good:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you use a fine grit sandpaper? That usually will keep things smoother. The other thing that works well is to use a primer underneath the pink. But I don't know if you want to start over. I'm a super perfectionist also. Little flaws drive me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't use a primer. I honestly didn't think of it until afterwards but I also didn't want to invest a lot into a $10 table that will be used for play. I used a coarse, medium and then fine grit sandpaper, but after using the coarse to remove three layers of paint I was tired and probably didn't smooth it over quite as well as I should have. Jessie, the final photo is probably driving you nuts....totally not perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fine. Especially for a little girl!! My family owns a construction company, so we have sandpaper and primer just lying around, so I didn't think about the cost;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah Kelly, I was going to ask how your daughter does with the American Girl Dolls. My daughter has a Bitty Baby (I got for her when she was only one because I adored AG growing up and couldn't wait), but she keeps asking for a My American Girl doll. I know that your daughter is a year older mine, so I was wondering if she had the bigger dolls? I ordered a couple of Bitty Baby outfits for Christmas to pacify her. Maybe for her birthday I would purchase the doll? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter, Alexa, is 4.5 years old. She is begging for an American Girl Doll, so that is what she is getting for Christmas. She is over the baby dolls and just wants the American Girl Doll. She likes to have tea parties and change their clothes. Target carries a line of dolls called Our Generation which include clothing and playsets, so I got her some extra clothes and playsets from there for Christmas to go with the doll.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...