Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dark Chocolate and Cinnamon Frozen Custard

I have been making homemade ice cream this past year. I vowed to never again purchase ice cream for the store. Once you make homemade ice cream using a great recipe, you can never really go back to purchasing store bought.




I have been using a couple of great recipes from AllRecipes.com , but I have made enough ice cream by now to venture out on my own and come up with my own creations. I don't quite have all of the time I would like right now to devote to my desserts, but hopefully within the next few months that will change. I did manage to create my newest recipe a few night ago called Dark Chocolate and Cinnamon Frozen Custard.


Dark Chocolate and Cinnamon Frozen Custard


2 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Milk
3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Tablespoons Dark Cocoa Powder
1 Ounce of 85% Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
5 Egg Yolks
1/2 Tablespoon Cinnamon
Directions

1.) On medium heat whisk heavy cream, milk, and sugar together until well blended. Add dark cocoa powder and continue to whisk until well blended. Add finely chopped chocolate and stir until melted. Add egg yolks and stir in using a whisk and a rubber spatula to continuously stir until the mixture has begun to thicken slightly. Remove from heat and pour into a container and allow mixture to cool for at least six hours.
2.) Remove cooled mixture from the fridge and add cinnamon and mix until well blended.
Pour the cooled mixture into your ice cream maker as per directions of your unit.
3.) You can garnish by sprinkling extra cinnamon on top if your custard just before serving and/or garnish with a wedge of dark chocolate. Store in a tightly covered container in the freezer.




Let me know if you have any questions! I also have a YouTube Channel, you can find it here:

7 comments:

  1. Yum! Are those the Trader Joe's dark chocolate wedges? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sweet Apron, they dark chocolate wedge is from Trader Joes. They are 70% dark and they come in a little round metal container near the checkout. Thanks for asking! Have you had them before? They are good, even my four year old likes the wedges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are wonderful-my favorite is the dark chocolate ancho chile. Sooo good with just enough heat. Great in mole sauce, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pictures it looks amazing! We have an ice cream maker and I agree there is nothing like fresh ice cream you made yourself. I will defiantly checkout these recipes, been looking for some new ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was inspired because I am going to Chocolat downtown, and I was looking at their menu online and I want some gelato and there are about 5 different flavors. One of them I wanted to try was chocolate cinnamon. I decided to create my own so I could free up that flavor for others when I go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! Looks both beautiful and oh so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello can you please tell me which state this recipe came from.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...