Friday, May 7, 2010

Smooth and Creamy Cake Batter Ice Cream


I fell in love with cake batter ice cream the moment I first tried it at Cold Stone Creamery. Occasionally I may give into the special dark mint flavor during Christmas or chocolate ice cream mixed with peanut butter, but the cake batter ice flavor remains my one and true love.
I have since tried grocery store versions of cake batter, but they have all failed to impress me. The flavor is off.....too icy and not creamy enough.......weird blue ribbons of icing running through it.......ick!
I recently saw a submitted photo of ice cream on AllRecipes.com and noticed it was made from using a cake batter ice cream recipe. I was very intrigued. I never made ice cream before but I knew I have to try it right away. I did. I was happily whipping the ingredients together in my saucepan while eagerly watching my candy thermometor. I turned around to view the recipe on my laptop sitting on the counter behind me when I realized the recipe required an ice cream maker. My heart sank......

I quickly did an internet search on how to make ice cream without using an ice cream maker. I came across an article of a French ice cream maker who explains that people have been making ice cream long before the invention of ice cream makers. Sweet relief!
So, this is what I do in lieu of an fancy ice cream maker.
1.) Pour hot mixture into a large round Wilton cake pan so it can spready out thinly and place into the freezer to cool for 30-40 minutes.
2.) Get my electric hand mixer ready and take the mixture out of the freezer. I blend it mixture in the pan and it may still be liquid or slightly lumpy at this stage and won't look anything like ice cream. Return to the freezer for another 30-40 minutes.
3.) Remove from the freezer and blend with the hand mixer once again. It may begin to look like pudding. Return to the freezer for another 30-40 minutes and repeat this step 2-3 more times until it becomes creamy like ice cream.
Here is the recipe I used from AllRecipes.com

I am looking forward to using this recipe and expanding on it.
Enjoy!
MySweetCreations

4 comments:

  1. My kids love cake batter ice cream too, I love that you found an alternate to the "machine" . Thanks for the recipe.
    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to make ice cream this way but I felt that mine turned out not as creamy as I like it. I felt it had too many ice crystals in it. (ps this is ChicagoCookie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anita, the key is to keep blending until smooth, but I also take the new cling wrap (like saran wrap but better) and cover the container and then put my lid on top of that so it it double covered to prevent icing inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I came across this post! I have been so tempted to try a number of ice cream recipes but always turned off by not having an ice-cream maker! Duh! I can't believe I didn't think of googling that. :)

    Now if only I wasn't subject to the classic European curse of a tiny little icebox freezer (inside the fridge)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...