Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cookie Sandwich Tutorial

Cookie Sandwich Tutorial
Most of you may know by now that I like to prepare cookie dough ahead of time. I make cookie dough, roll it into balls and freeze on a cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a zip-loc bag. I keep several bags of cookie dough that is ready to bake in my freezer at all times.
Here, I am ready to make a couple of cookie sandwiches. I pull some frozen cookie dough balls out of the freezer and place onto a cookie sheet. I press the M&M's very slightly onto the frozen cookie dough tops.



This is what the M&M's will look like after you press them onto the tops. As the cookie bakes, the M&M's will sink nicely into place. Keep in mind, I do not thaw my cookie dough balls, I bake them from a frozen solid state.



After the cookies cool, I turn one over and pipe homemade buttercream onto the cookie using a pastry bag and tip.




Sandwich another cookie onto the buttercream. Be careful not to press them together too much so you don't squish the buttercream out of the middle.

I prefer to let mine sit out for a while to allow the buttercream to set and form a slight crust or better yet, I like to refrigerate them until cold. If you eat them from the refrigerator, the buttercream won't squish out.


Next time, I am going to altenately pipe both buttercream and store bought rich chocolate icing into the middle. The two icings best resemble those of the cookies icing the Great American Cookie Company or mall cookies stores use.


MySweetCreations

15 comments:

  1. Ugh those look amazing! You rock the pastries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (laughing) thanks! I am looking forward to another playdate where I can bake something to bring! ;) These cookie sandwiches are my current thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! I def. need to have frozen cookie dough on hand ;)

    thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my new headboard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it! The cookies look so yummy and chewy! Having frozen cookie dough on hand is so handy, lol. I might do that today...we'll see.

    -Sarah.j.s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh evil cookies! Don't you know that M&M's are my favorite! They look so good, my kids would go crazy over these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look wonderful. My kids would have them gone faster than I could finish making all of the sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What kid wouldn't love these! Double yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are made with all of our favorite goodies! Thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look so good! Those would be torture to have in the house! Thanks for sharing them.

    I've given you an award on my blog: http://theperfectlyimperfectlife.blogspot.com/2010/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! These look so yummy!!! Sandwich cookies are the best!!! I can't wait to make them!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, I'm drooling!! Glad you're joining in the WIWW fun -- enjoy the weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...