Friday, March 12, 2010

Making Popcorn The Old Fashioned Way


How do you like your popcorn? Super buttery, salty or mixed with M&M's? How about Kettle corn, caramel corn? I can tell you that I loved super buttery microwave popcorn when I was growing up. We often made it in the evenings for a snack. I still remember the smell filling the air as we eagerly waited for the microwave to beep, letting us know our salty snack was ready.


I no longer eat microwave popcorn. I am not really sure when I stopped eating it or why. Perhaps my taste buds changed, but I don't like it anymore. Instead, I prefer making popcorn the old fashioned way, on the stove. Now, my earliest memories of popcorn take me way back to being 5 or 6 years old and spending the night at my Grama's house. She made popcorn the old fashioned way.


My nearly four year old daughter has never had microwave popcorn and it makes me happy to know that I am showing her an old fashioned way of making popcorn in the days where convenience rules. I will tell you a little secret.......I even make popcorn at home and fill a ziploc bag just before we go to the movie theatre. Yes, I sneak my own popcorn in!


2 1/2 tablespoons organic olive oil

1/3 cup white popcorn seeds


Use a large pan with a lid, and heat the stove on medium-high. Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil and pour the popcorn seeds on top. Just watch and wait and you seeds will begin to pop and in a few minutes you will have your popcorn!


I sprinkle a little bit of salt and fresh cracked pepper on ours. So tell me, how do you like your popcorn? Have you ever made popcorn on the stove?
MySweetCreations


4 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Grant's Mom. He wanted me to tell you thanks for following his blog and leaving him the nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made popcorn like this when I was growing up. We had a certain pan with a bumpy lid for just this purpose. My Aunt and I had it every day for an after school snack. We ate tons of it popped on the stove, what a great racket it made. If I did it today my kids would wonder what was exploding!LOL Love this post.
    Win Rachael Ray bake ware at my blog.
    Thanks!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents had an old fashioned popcorn machine at their dime store--the best in the world, as far as I was concerned. Thanks for this post; it brought back so many memories. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your daughter has never had microwave popcorn! You really are teaching her a wonderful skill :) I have been meaning to research and how to make kettle corn at home, you just reminded me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...