Friday, February 19, 2010

Gourmet Caramel Apples


Usually we associate caramel apples with the fall season and Halloween. That is the time of year when people travel to apple orchards and pumpkin farms to pick out their perfect pumpkins and sip hot apple cider. I happen to enjoy caramel apples all year, not just in the fall.

My caramel apple of choice is not your typical one. Think about those gourmet chocolate stores who display heavily coated caramel apples that are also dipped into chocolate. Those are the ones I like. I don't even mess around the plain caramel apples anymore.

Gourmet Caramel Apples

3-4 small apples (I use fuji or honeycrisp apples)
1 12 oz. bag of Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips
1 11 oz. bag of Kraft Premium Caramel Bits
1 tbsp. water
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1.) Clean your apples and push a stick through the top.
2.) Cover a cookie sheet with wax paper and spray the wax paper with cooking spray. Otherwise the caramel will stick to the wax paper.
3.) Bring water on the stove to a boil and dip each apple into the hot water and wipe clean with a paper towel. This will remove any wax coating from the apple, otherwise your caramel may not stick and will promptly slide off after dipping.
4.) Pour caramel and water into a glass bowl and mircowave for 30 second increments until melted. Add vanilla and stir until smooth.
5.) Dip apples into caramel and place onto cookie sheet. You can place the them into the refrigerator to speed up the process.
6.) Melt milk chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave in 30 second increments, just until the chips begin to mose their shape and melt. Stir until smooth.
7.) Dip the cooled caramel covered apples into the milk chocolate. You may need to help spoon the chocolate over the apple to cover it.
8.) Place caramel/milk chocolate covered apples back on the cookie sheet and allow to dry. You can also place them back into to refrigerator to speed up the process.

At this point, they are ready for you to enjoy, unless you prefer a topping on top of the chocolate. While the milk chocolate is still wet, you can press M&M's into the chocolate or sprinkle crushed Oreos and drizzle with white chocolate, sprinkles with nuts and marshmallows and drizzle with dark chocolate. The possibilities are endless!
My favorite topping is melting a 1 oz. square of Baker's white chocolate and melting it with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Once it is melted and smooth, I either drizzle over the apple with a spoon (messy look) or pipe onto the apple using a pastry bag and small round tip (neater look).

What is your favorite topping on a gourmet caramel apple?

8 comments:

  1. Those look lovely!

    I've only had one with anything other than plain caramel and chopped peanuts, and that was...crushed Butterfinger bits! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm......Butterfingers sound like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MSC, I saw your post on allrecipes about starting a blog. I just started a blog a few weeks ago, although it's not food related so I signed up to follow yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victoria, I remember you from the AllRecipes post this morning. Is your blog called Slightly Shabby? I just clicked on your name and I think I found your blog. Thanks for following me, it means a lot to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that's mine. I'm new to the whole blog thing but a good way to get more followers is to find some blogs that participate in link up parties with more established blogs. They let you link your site onto theirs (sort of like a show and tell) and it gets seen a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Sweet Creations has some of the best recipes I have ever tasted. WOW! So time saving and very easy too! I wish I could make things as pretty as you. Keep up the good work. I am not just saying that because i am your mother. Love from Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thank you Mom! I couldn't be the baker I am without you! I can't wait to make cake batter ice cream for you guys when we visit this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got it going with these gorgeous apples! I wish I had one now! Thanks for linking to Foodie Friday--this is a keeper recipe! Have a great weekend!
    Gollum

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...